If you can’t find the time to hide in the bathroom from your kids, how will you ever find time to refresh and renew your skin? Luckily, the skin care trends that will be huge for moms in 2021 don’t take a ton of time, but will take years off your appearance. This year is all about self-care, and while the following treatments may not restore your sanity, they’ll have you looking fresh and ready to face the world even with little to no sleep.
- Ingestible collagen supplements: Recognizing the relationship between your diet and skin is key to tapping the Fountain of Youth. Incorporating collagen supplements into your daily routine can improve your skin’s hydration and elasticity, reduce wrinkles, decrease nail breakage and increase hair growth. There’s a sea of products available on the web, but our patients have seen tremendous results with Vital Proteins’ grass fed Collagen Peptides. Supplements can be a slow go, so it could take up to three months to experience the benefits.
- Sculptra® Aesthetic: This FDA-approved injectable works by gradually stimulating your skin’s natural collagen production for a more youthful-looking appearance. We like to describe Sculptra® as “fertilizer” for your face because it provides natural volume replacement that can last for more than two years.
- Probiotic ingredients: Probiotics are strains of good bacteria that keep your digestive system in line, but when these incredible organisms are used as topicals on the skin, they’ve been proven to heal wounds, smooth scars and even calm inflammatory ailments like eczema. As more and more probiotic-based products become available, the most effective ingredients to look for include the species Lactobacillus, Bifidabacterium and Vitreoscilla. You can even use MaryRuth’s Organic Topical Probiotic Spray on your little one’s eczema and it’ll work wonders!
- LED light therapy face masks: LED light therapy involves exposing the skin to different wavelengths of light to treat various concerns ranging from signs of aging to acne. It also helps boost the appearance of collagen, leaves skin looking bright, repairs cell damage, kills bacteria and reduces fine lines. The best part about LED light therapy is that you can lay back, close your eyes and have a few minutes to relax while it works its magic. Mom win!
- Restylane Lyft®: Between the excessive washing and extra sanitizer we’re using right now, our hands are taking a beating. Hand sanitizer actually strips our skin of its natural hydration so it’s important that we replace this with a moisturizer. Ideally, we suggest a medical grade product like Revision’s Lumiquin to help brighten and rehydrate. But if you truly want to take years off your hands Restylane Lyft® is the way to go. It is the first and only hyaluronic acid filler that’s FDA-approved to restore volume, hide pesky veins and keep your hands plump and hydrated. Hyaluronic acid fillers have an affinity for water and will retain up to 1,000 times its weight in water. You should also treat your hands like your face and once you’re done applying skin care, take the remainder that’s left on your fingers and rub it into your hands.
- Sustainable beauty: This trend will also blow up this year. From beauty subscription boxes that contain non-toxic ingredients to bio-degradable and refillable pots, tubes and bottles, the eco-movement is evolving. Top secret mom hack? Some skin care brands like SkinMedica, have a subscribe option so you can get medical grade skin care all year long without adding it to your ridiculously long list of things to do.
When it comes to skin care trends and trying new products, if you start showing signs of irritation, redness or extreme dryness, stop immediately. Also, injectable treatments are medical procedures that come with risks and benefits. Make sure to do your research and see a qualified injection specialist for your aesthetic treatments.
By: Marissa Abdo and Morgan Renfro are Registered Nurses, Certified Aesthetic Nurse Specialists and the Founders of Scottsdale-based Lumen + Bevel Aesthetics