Preschool, I am such a fan! My daughter started last year in the 2’s class, and she is continuing on to the 3’s while my son starts his first year as well. It is an exciting, yet nerve-wracking time for our little kiddos and it is our job to help build the excitement, but also calm any fears before the start of the school year. I wanted to share 5 tips on how to prepare your kiddos…and you for the school year!
- Create a Countdown: My kids always want to know what is next, so we created a good ol’ fashion countdown for class. We use a chalkboard, but you can use a whiteboard, paper, you name it! This gets them excited, but also prepared on when it is coming.
- Let Them Pick out Their Outfits: My kids are a little young for this, and I know many schools have uniforms, but have them be involved! Maybe a new hair style, or a bow or accessory- this get’s them excited to show off a new fashion on the first day of school.
- Get Crafty: We love to make cards for the teachers just to say hello and let them know that they are excited for a new school year. My kids color with their favorite colors, which they love to tell their teachers upon arrival at school.
- Do a Walk Through: Many schools have an open house night prior to the first day, and I encourage you to participate. Letting your kids see the property, meet the teacher, and even see peers will help them calm some nerves.
- Create Goals: Set goals with your kids for the school year. Maybe it is not crying at drop off, learning the alphabet, etc. Then set some awesome rewards of they stick with it!
We hope your kids first day is amazing, and we hope you can share it with us! Be sure to use #nphxmoms when posting those adorable back to school photos!