Summertime skin makes me think of sweat, sunscreen, and that tight dryness from our hot sun. It can be easy to let skin care go on the back burner, I am guilty of this, and I am a licensed esthetician!
Being in the skincare industry I’ve learned a few tips to make your skin survive these Arizona summers (and maybe just some everyday quick tips, since us moms need quick and easy!) beyond the wash, exfoliate, moisturize that we usually hear of!
- To avoid that “cakey” feeling on your face that often comes with layering makeup over sunscreen over moisturizer, simply mix your minerals with your moisturizer. Most minerals have a natural SPF and this will make it go on smoothly, and even give a slight dewey look that I personally love!
- Always wear waterproof mascara! I have learned this the hard way since it is so hot here in the valley that our eyelids sweat! Plus it is convenient when using the pool and swimming.
- Sunglasses are a must. Especially with UV protection. The eye area is also the first place to show signs of aging, so UV protective sunglasses will hep with this. I also never realized that sunglasses are a good way to hide the fact that you’ve skipped eye makeup for the day until I became a mom. I am so guilty of this!
- Hats! Hats are perfect right now to shade your face from the sun. It also helps protect your scalp from being burned, which mine always does. I now wear a fedora in the pool and also use hats to cover up dirty hair! They are so cheap right now too with lots of summer clearance going on!
- I am not someone who buys darker makeup thinking I am going to be tan. I try not to tan because it is not healthy, and I have a history of skin cancer in my family. I now just use bronzer in the summertime to create a “tan”, by brushing it lightly over my forehead and t-zone.