Keeping your skin hydrated during the summer doesn’t have to be a lot of work. Once the 90-degree (plus) temperatures hit, staying consistent is key to avoiding dry skin, fine lines and wrinkles and a dull complexion. There are many ways to preserve your skin’s natural youthfulness while living in the desert!
- Drink lots of water: Our skin is a living organ and undergoes its own process of respiration, or exchange of air. A surprising amount of water is lost to the air this way, some as sweat while the rest simply evaporates through our pores — up to a quart a day. You should drink an ounce of water a day for each pound that you weigh.
- Eat a raw diet: Fruits and vegetables naturally help keep us stay hydrated thanks to their high-water content combined with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes to boost absorption. Think of green veggies like spinach and brussels sprouts and fruits such as oranges and apples.
- Exfoliate often: Make sure to get rid of the topmost layer of dead skin cells at least one to two times a week. Those dead cells are responsible for making your skin look dull and dried out. Exfoliating also allows products to penetrate the skin better so you are getting the most out of your skincare.
- Use a humidifier: By adding moisture to the indoor air, you help to reduce the occurrence of dry, cracked skin and increase the chances of keeping skin hydrated.
- Consider facial filler: Hyaluronic Acid fillers, such as Restylane and Juvéderm, are gels that are injected to replace facial volume that’s lost over time. An added bonus is fillers also have a high-water affinity which means they attract and hold water in the molecule that helps hydrate our faces.
- Try topical Hyaluronic Acid: HA is a skin plumper by way of its ability to retain moisture. It helps to hydrate dry skin, providing a smooth, soft appearance on your face and hands.
- Research sunscreens: Next-level sunscreens are available that enhance luminosity, moisture and glow. One of our favorites is Alastin Hydratint with SPF 36 that can be used daily to protect skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays, shield against environmental pollution and provide a tint with a soft glow for perfect-looking skin.
Authors: Marissa Abdo, MS, RN, CANS and Morgan Renfro, RN, CANS are the founders of Scottsdale-based Lumen + Bevel Aesthetics, are top trainers in the world if injectables and offer clients a collaborative experience using non-surgical facial sculpting and contouring techniques to enhance and preserve each individual’s natural beauty.