Butter chicken is a modern Indian dish that has fast become a globally beloved dish. After one bite of the generously spiced, savory tomato-cream sauce and the tender chicken that it’s cooked in, it’s not hard to see why butter chicken has become a global favorite. Below you will find a simple and quick (under 30 minutes) butter chicken recipe. Grab a skillet and get started!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 4-oz cans tomato paste
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 2″ cubes
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Basmati rice for serving
- In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in onions, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until onions are soft and garlic and ginger are fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add butter, chicken stock, tomato paste, cinnamon, salt, cumin, garam masala and turmeric to pan. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir in chicken and stir until coated. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in lemon juice and heavy cream. Return to a simmer and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve butter chicken over basmati rice and top with fresh cilantro.
Note: To make this dish dairy-free, use coconut oil in place of butter and full fat coconut milk in place of heavy cream. Also, if you double check your ingredients this could be easily made gluten-free.
Do you make butter chicken already? Share your own twist on the recipe with us in the comments.