Summer is practically upon us here in the Valley of the Sun. Do you know what that means?! It means swimming, traveling, hiking, exploring, camping, you name it! I am super excited about the adventures that await us this summer. However, I am not super excited about the toxins that come with most of the products that we use during the summer!
Do you have the Think Dirty app? If not, get it. Then start scanning. I challenge you to find all of the products that you use with your family during the summer – sunscreen, bug spray, after sun lotions, foot scrubs – and scan them into the Think Dirty app. What you find may surprise you.
Have no fear! I am going to help you detox your summer from the get go with helpful info and some DIY recipes that will keep your mind at ease!
Let’s start with sun protection.
There are a few routes to go when practicing sun safety. And two don’t require any potentially harmful ingredients at all! Cover up and time it right! Cover your skin with clothing and a hat! Try to avoid the harshest time of day 10am-2pm. Of course, with adventures that await, it may be hard to do that!
But what about sunscreen?
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) does a great job at rating sunscreens. They have a whole site about sunscreen, sun facts and more. There is a whole host of information I was not aware of such as European sunscreens protect better against UVA rays, mineral sunscreens contain nano-particles and more. There are some sunscreens you definitely want to avoid:
- Aerosol Spray Sunscreens – don’t cover properly and can be inhaled. The FDA has even expressed doubts about their effectiveness.
- SPF values above 50+ – trick you into thinking you are getting more protection. They suppress sunburns but don’t protect any better against other kinds of sun damage.
- Oxybenzone – may disrupt endocrine system and may cause other health problems.
- Retinal Palmytate – may trigger damage, possibly cancer.
Read more on the trouble with ingredients on sunscreens here.
There are some popular sunscreens that scored very poorly in their rating scales. I know I have used many of these on myself and my daughter in the past. Check out the 2016 Hall of Shame Guide to see if your favorite made the list.
You can also check the ratings for your sunscreen by entering the name of the sunscreen here: EWG Sunscreen Guide.
It can be exhausting looking for a sunscreen that is suitable for your family. My favorites are the sunscreen stick and sunscreen cream from Beauty Counter. Check them out if you haven’t heard of them!
Other than sunscreen, you may be using other products to support your summer time fun! Here are a few DIY recipes that can help you detox your summer while still having the time of your life!
- Place the 1/2 ounce of witch hazel in the 1-ounce bottle. Add the drops of oils to the the bottle. Fill with water. Shake it up!
- Place the Aloe Vera Gel in the 1-ounce bottle. Add the drops of oils to the bottle. Fill with water. Shake it up!
- Add the 1 ounce of witch hazel to your 1 ounce bottle. Add the essential oils. Fill with water. Shake to mix!
Do you have any DIY favorites that you whip up during the summer? Please share them in the comments! I know I am always looking for new ideas!
Also, I challenge you to grab that Think Dirty App and scan some items in your home. Comment below with one thing that you are going to swap out for something better!