It’s officially fall y’all. Can you believe it?! And even though Arizona isn’t completely done with the warm temperatures during the day, we’re finally getting those cooler mornings and evenings. I was so excited to start my fall ritual of sitting on the back porch with my morning tea enjoying the crisp air while my little ones play outside without turning into a puddle of sweat within minutes. And for me this means I can finally start getting the house ready for fall by changing up our decor to reflect the change in seasons. It may be a tad early for all of the spooky Halloween decorations, but I think adding in some neutral fall elements to decorate your home is a must. Fall updates can be super easy or you can get really creative, whatever floats your boat.
Here are 5 super easy ways to decorate your home for fall right away.
- Cream, White, Mint, Brown, Green, and Light Orange pumpkins are where it’s at! They’re sometimes referred to as Cinderella pumpkins which my little girl gets a kick out of. Stack them in baskets, put them on your mantle, kitchen table, and of course on your front porch. They’re so pretty you don’t even need to carve them! Other faux options are great too. I found some tan herringbone pumpkins in the Target dollar section and I bought up a handful before they sold out.
- Throws and pillows are a great easy way to decorate your home for fall. I’m a sucker for cuddling up on the couch with my hubby so I always make sure to have a couple of throw blankets within arms reach. When the temps change I love pulling out the plaids, knit cables and faux fur, pillows included. It definitely brings that cozier/cooler feel to the home. And don’t stop at the living room; make sure to throw some in the bedrooms as well.
- Cotton. If you’ve ever been to Junk in the Trunk Vintage Market or watched Fixer Upper on HGTV, you know they always use cotton stems around the house. I actually use them year round but I know that some people like to add more around fall. I picked up some stems at one of the markets and made my own DIY cotton wreath (literally the easiest project ever!) and added it to my fireplace. Instant pop! You can also put the stems into a vase or bucket and place it anywhere in the house.
- Candles and diffusers with fall scents. Whether you’re a candle lover (me) or and essential oil over (also me!) there’s an option to make your house smell like fall. I”m all about the spicy pumpkin smells or cinnamon apple, but there are literally so many to choose from. A natural option that I also love is to boil water in a big pot on the stove and then throw in apples halves, a couple cinnamon sticks, and a little clove. So good!
- Pinecones in a basket, or on a garland, or wherever. I have these in a huge basket on my fire place. You can always buy the ones in front of the grocery store or grab your own if they’re available. But the trick is to sprinkle a little cinnamon essential oil on them and they’ll smell amazing for weeks! I also got this great neutral tan and brown garland of pine cones last year that I love hanging on my fireplace. And it can totally stay through the fall/winter transition. You can make your own with a little glitter, glue and twine if you want to be crafty. This one would be fun to do with the kiddos too.
And here are some of my favorite fall decor items from…
- Target: Velvet Pumpkins | Pinecone Garland | Plaid Pillows
- Pottery Barn: Recycled Glass Pumpkins | Feather & Pinecone Wreathe
- World Market: Casserole Pumpkin Dish (so pretty you can leave it on the counter)
Hope this helps you decorate your home for fall! Cross our fingers that those cooler temps aren’t too far away.